THINGS TO DO

The bend in a path

Our area covers a part of the Compiègne and Laigue woodlands and is located on the edge of the Retz and Ourscamp-Carlepont forests, as well as having woods and groves within. Let’s see some examples…

THE HORSE CHESTNUT OF FREEDOM IN CROUTOY

As is the case in other villages, a horse chestnut of freedom was planted on 14 July 1790 in Croutoy. Situated on Rue de l’Eglise, it is one of those rare trees to have withstood the test of time. Wether revolutionary legend or proven fact, the symbol was taken up again on the bi-centenary of the Revolution.

 

THE SAINTE - CROIX PRIORY

This ancient abbey, listed as a Historical Monument, is situated in the private estate of Offémont in the commune of Saint-Crépin-aux-Bois. Adjoining the GR655, the Way of Saint James of Compostela that starts from Brussels, the walkers can enjoy its romantic ruins : a church, cloisters, ancient barns and a pigeon house. It was founded in 1331 with the aim to receiving a fragment of the Sainte Croix (Holy Cross), initially kept by four months. Louis d’Orléans, Duke  of Valois, carried out the extensions that would give rise to its magnificence before the Revolution left it in ruins.

 

GERMAN PRISONERS OF WAR CAMP IN CROUTOY-ATTICHY

The Second World War also left its mark on the land, as in the case of the plateau in Croutoy and Hautefontaine. During the Great War, this is there that an airfield was set up, that one was turned into a German prisoners war camp held by the Americans from September 1944. More than 60 000 Axis soldiers could be held there at one time. Nowadays only the ruins of the control tower rise up near the remains of the runways, reminding us of a painful page in our history.

 

MOUNT BERNY RUINS AND BRUNEHAUT ROAD

The ruins of the Gallo-Roman vicus (town) called Mount-Berny can be found at the northern exit of Pierrefonds, at the edge of the forest. The ruins are located on Brunehaut Road, an important communication channel linking Senlis to Soissons. The construction of that road of 30 km is attributed to the Romans. In fact, they merely improved an already structured axis dating back to the Celts by adding paving and ditches for drainage.

Brunehaut Road is crossing all our territory from South to North, you can easily take a walk along its road…